This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Application as Service

4 replies to this topic

pajaykumar

pajaykumar
  • Full Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 06:25

Hello Everybody,

I want to install one of executable file from my install components as a service. I don’t know how InstallShield support for this? And how should I go about it? Also where can I found all information about it, in detail?

Thanks,

Ajay

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 18:01

Go to the component that includes the service file. Expand the tree view to get to the Advanced section. There are settings to create and start/stop services.

mshan

mshan
  • Full Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 18:38

Hi Stefan,

I'm also trying to install a Service using InstallShield 2008. Using "Components-->Advance Settings-->Install NT Services", I can able to install the Serice. By default the service being installed under the 'Local User'. To be installed under a specific User, I specify the Domain/Username under "Install NT Services', that also works. But my requirement is, the Domain/Username should be captured dynamically.

I come across few postings in this forum in which people suggested to make an entry in 'ServiceInstall' table in order to install a Service.

1.What is the difference between installing a Service using "Components-->Advance Settings-->Install NT Services" and "ServiceInstall" table and how to make an entry in "ServiceInstall" table?

2.How to get the Domain/UserName dynamically?

Thanks,
MShan

Edited by mshan, 13 June 2007 - 18:47.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 21:06

There's no difefrence. The "Install Services" view populates the ServiceInstall table. You can see all tables in the Direct Editor.
Try using a property in square brackets in the username field like:
[SERVICEACCOUNT]
where SERVICEACCOUNT is a property that the user enters in an edit box for instance.

spdygnlz

spdygnlz
  • Full Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 21:45

I use the [IS_NET_API_LOGON_USERNAME] property to populate the service RunAs account and it works great. Of course I have to include the LogonInformation dialog.

-- spdygnlz --