This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Display a message during custom action execution

6 replies to this topic

xmozart

xmozart
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 07:38

I would like to show a message box (like SdShowMsg in installscript) during execution of custom action (executes another .exe file) in Basic MSI project. How can it be done?

Thanks.

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 10:18

Maybe you can try the SdShowMsg Installscript function (via an Installscript custom action):

http://helpnet.insta...Msg_example.htm

Edited by Glytzhkof, 30 September 2006 - 10:18.

Regards
-Stein Åsmul

xmozart

xmozart
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 13:59

That's exactly what I don't want to do. It means that user will need the installscript engine on the target machine. I prefer to use only Windows Installer technology.

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 17:00

I am not aware of a built-in MSI feature that will accomplish this. There are basic dialogs embedded in the msiexec.exe engine, but I believe those are only shown if there is no GUI in the MSI being installed. I guess you have to write yourself a win32 modeless dialog and show it from either a dll or exe custom action... Alternatively there is the billboard feature of MSI that can possibly be used to work around the problem, but as I understand this feature is buggy.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 01 October 2006 - 12:10

You could add your custom actions progress to the general progress bar, as described in the MSI docs. Or you could add a non-modal dialog to your setup, similar to the initialization dialog. Or you could display the dialog from your custom action itself, with proper conditions to make sure it isn't displayed in silent mode.

Rick

Rick
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 22:37

I've used the Basic Script MsgBox function and it works just fine. That will only work if you have a very simple Custom Action that you can code in Basic Script.

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 11:45

Hi Rick, that's very interesting, would you mind sharing this code with the rest of us? It might be a good reference for someone in the future.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul