This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Components : How to...?

8 replies to this topic

Cesar

Cesar
  • Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 22 February 2001 - 14:42

i'd like to know how can i install differents components step by step...
i mean: i want to install for example "Program Files", then i make modifications on some of this component files ... then installshield installs the component "Example Files"...

My english is not perfect...

thanks

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 22 February 2001 - 18:14

Why would you? Why don't you just modify them after all files are transferred?

Cesar

Cesar
  • Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 22 February 2001 - 18:18

cause i have to install 2 programs, one is to be simply installed, the other is a component which contains install files. (and i have to launch a second installation with LaunchAppAndWait ( "ProgramFiles\\... \\setup.exe) ) but this one must be installed first...

do you see what i mean?

thanks...

SteveP

SteveP
  • Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 22 February 2001 - 19:11

If I understand correctly what you want to do, you have what may be called three installation packages.  

The first package is the main product installation.  During this installation the user will choose one of two product configurations.

Depending on the configuration the user selects, there are two Example packages, one of which must be installed to support the main package.  You would like the install package to install the main application and whatever example package supports the configuration the user selects.

Please confirm that this is what you would like to do.  There may be several different options, depending on the exact nature of your installation.

Cesar

Cesar
  • Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 23 February 2001 - 15:16

in my package, i have two programs to install... the two MUST be installed. but one must be installed before the other. i have one program by component... one component (component A) is constituted of simple program files who will be simply installed, that's all for that component.
the other component (component B) is constituted of  "installation files" ( with "setup.exe", "setup.ini", cab files, etc...) and the problem is:

-the program of the component B must be installed before the other program in the component A.

-when i do: "LaunchAppAndWait" for the component B, the program of the component A is already installed !!!

thanks for answering...

SteveP

SteveP
  • Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 23 February 2001 - 16:37

Cesar,

Please excuse me if I don't have this correct, but I am understanding you to say that you have two programs.  The one you wish to install first is NOT a Windows Installer package.  The second one IS a Windows Installer package.  You would like to install both during the same install session, with the non-WI program being installed first.

The easiest way to do this is probably to write a short wrapper routine that will install the non-WI package, wait for completion, and then launch the WI package.  On your distribution media, you would then have something very similar to our package.

In the root, we have a setup.exe (wrapper program) with several folders containing installation packages.  Some of the packages are redistributed pre-requisites, and the wrapper tests to see that they are present, installing them as needed.  When the prerequisites are in place, the wrapper initiates the MSI package for our main application.

The same method may work for your installation needs.

Generous

Generous
  • Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 23 February 2001 - 17:22

IMHO may be use custom action in begin of InstallExecute sequence in setup of component A to install component B?

At executing installation of A its start installation of B, then process another installation tasks?

Hongwei Jia

Hongwei Jia
  • Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 05 March 2001 - 20:40

How to write the wrapper program? Could you provide me more information?  Thanks in advance!

Hongwei Jia