This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Knowing the Mode of Installation

3 replies to this topic

joylight

joylight
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 17:23

Hi all

during installtion i want to know if the installer is running in silent mode or in ui mode coz
1. If its running in silent mode i have written an exe for uninstalling previous products so that the CA in ui action wont get executed . . only the CA in Exe seq wil get executed.
2. if its running in UI mode, i want to put condition so that the CA in UI sequece gets executed and execute sequence wil not executed ...

the problem is with UI mode coz after executing in ui mode again the same uis will be shown when executing in execute sequence.. i want to avoid this..
is this possible..

if i am not able to properly put my topic pls specify....
thanxs and regards..
Joe

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 22:11

First of all: the setup that you are uninstalling, is that an MSI setup, or a legacy type setup?

Secondly: the UILevel property might be part of what you are looking for. There are 4 different types ranging from fully silent to fully interactive:
INSTALLUILEVEL_NONE
INSTALLUILEVEL_BASIC
INSTALLUILEVEL_REDUCED
INSTALLUILEVEL_FULL

Check the SDK help for more details:

Start page: http://msdn.microsof..._start_page.asp

UILevel:
http://msdn.microsof...tup/uilevel.asp
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

joylight

joylight
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 06:20

thanxs stein for ur kind reply..
i forgot to mention i am using basic msi with no script at all everthing is done by custom action there is no script int

i just went thourgh the link u have sent and i understood the conditions it works fine.. but

how to set this condition .... in script installtion they are doing it by msisetinternaluser function but can u pls tel how to know these properties when there is no script.

thanxs in advance

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 07:15

As Stein mentioned, the UILevel property will tell you in which UI mode the setup is running. A user can select the UI mode using command line parameters:
msiexec.exe /i your.msi /qn
where:
/qn = none (silent)
/qb = basic (only progress message)
/qr = reduced (only non-modal dialogs)
There are some additional modes, which are also documented in help 8topic conmand line options)

However if all you want to do is make sure your custom action runs only once, i.e. in the UI sequence if UI is anabled, or in the Execute sequence in case of a silent install, there is built in support for this: just insert your custom action in both sequences but mark it as "execute only once" (msidbCustomActionTypeFirstSequence).