This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Minor Upgrade

10 replies to this topic

DavidCahill

DavidCahill
  • Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 14 September 2001 - 15:25

Hello,
I am trying to create a minor upgrade using the article "Minor and Major upgrading using IPWI" in the Tools and TIps section of this site.
I have changed package code and updated the product code from 5.01.0191 to 5.01.0192.
I need to update 7 files, 5 of which have updated file versions. In the setup.ini I use REINSTALLMODE=vaums so as all files will be reinstalled.

The problem is that only one file (one of the files where the version number has not changed) gets updated.
5 of the files are in one feature, the other 2 are in separate features. Each file is in its own component.

Also, uninstalling after the upgrade has been run does not remove any files.

I get this same behaviour on different machines.

Any help or suggestions as to what could be causing this behaviour would be much appreciated.

thanks,
David

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 14 September 2001 - 15:58

Did you add a component to an existing feature? Or move a component from one feature to another? Or change the component code (GUID) of an existing component? Or change the key file of an existing component? In the log file, do you have entries like the following for the components that don't update:
installed: local request: null action: null

In addition to REINSTALLMODE I assume you also have REINSTALL=ALL.

If you install the msi 2.0 runtimes on a test machine, does that solve the problem?

DavidCahill

DavidCahill
  • Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 14 September 2001 - 20:02

Hi Stefan,
no new components or features have been added.
No component GUID have been changed or key files changed either. However I do have many references to

installed: local request: null action: null in my log file.

What do they mean?

I have not yet tried msi 2.0 but will do so.

thanks,
David

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 14 September 2001 - 21:55

These entries typically mean that you have broken some upgrade rule (that I tried to summarize in my questions). A more complete list can be found here under Windows Installer -> Tools & Tips -> Updates and Patches, and in the MSI SDK.

MSI 2.0 runtimes remove many of these limitations, so if your setup works properly on a system with msi 2.0, that's another indication that the update rules for MSi 1.x have been broken.

DavidCahill

DavidCahill
  • Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 17 September 2001 - 11:10

Hi,
I think I have found a possible cause to this problem.
My original ISWI project was created with ISWI 2.01. I have since upgraded to ISWI 2.03 and created the minor upgrade using ISWI 2.03.

If I create the minor upgrade with ISWI 2.01 (i.e. the version of InstallShield the original project was created with) everything works as expected.

To me it looks like a bug in 2.03 or in the ISM project upgrade process?.

Does anyone know if this is a known issue?

thanks,
David

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 17 September 2001 - 11:37

I'm not aware of such a problem. Check to see if all component codes match - maybe the conversion changed them? (I don't think it does, but you never know)
Did you add merge modules?

DavidCahill

DavidCahill
  • Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 17 September 2001 - 11:44

Hi,
no component codes have been changed. I compared component codes from the original ISWI 2.01 project to the ISWI .203 project and all are the same. (I used an edited version of the manifest vb project in the tools and tips section to display just the component guid and file name and then I compared the output of both.)

No merge modules have been added to the project either. I have added merge modules to the merge module directory but this shouldn't affect anything?

thanks,
David

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 17 September 2001 - 22:13

Did you update merge modules that are included in the project? (adding unrelated msm file shouldn't hurt)

DavidCahill

DavidCahill
  • Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 18 September 2001 - 08:56

I might have updated the VB Virtual machine mm (msvbvm60.msm). Is it possible that an updated merge module is causing this?

David

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 18 September 2001 - 13:32

If it includes an additional component or a component with changed GUID. Not likely for the msvbvm60.msm.

DavidCahill

DavidCahill
  • Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 19 September 2001 - 09:13

Hi,
it was the merge modules that were causing the problem. Some of the modules that came with 2.03 had new components. Using the original 2.01 modules solved the problem and the upgrade now works as expected.

Thanks for all your help with this.
David