This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Shortcuts not removed on uninstall

3 replies to this topic

saybo

saybo
  • Full Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 November 2007 - 18:17

I have one installer project that I edit with a script to make different versions of our installer. It is all designed so you can install & run 2 of these versions at the same time. The files are installed to different folders in Program Files, they have different ProductName, ProductID, etc. so they show up separately in Add/Remove programs. But they do use the same file names, component IDs and other values.

When I have both installed, lets call them A & B, and I uninstall A, the files are all successfully removed but not my desktop shortcut or some registry values. When I uninstall B, B's versions of these things are successfully removed.

The things left behind are associated to a component that is not a shared file, and the one file in this component is successfully removed from Program Files.

In the uninstall log from "A" I get:
'NewShortcut31' shortcut's, 'Shortcut.txt' component will not be removed, so that 'NewShortcut31_3286CFD85C7047C3BF020E8A8C719A6F.exe' icon will not be removed.

But there is no mention in the log of the component being marked to remain. I have some other components that are shared, and see them in the logs, but not this component.

Is there somewhere else in the registry that acts like the SharedDLL's counter, but for component ID's or something?

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 01:44

Windows Installer doesn't use the SharedDLL counter in registry. Instead, for each component it registers the clients (products) that use it. And it doesn't remove the component if any client still needs it.

saybo

saybo
  • Full Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 18:47

I'm curious where that registration is, I couldn't find it in the registry. I also find it odd that the shortcuts are left, (& a registry value I didn't mention) but the file itself IS removed.

Anyway, I did fix my issue by using my perl build script to change the component code between my InstallShield builds. Luckily, the shortcuts & the registry key being left behind were associated with the same component, so I only have to edit one code.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 13:34

It's obfuscated and should be left alone.