This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Problem creating MSI in new user account.

5 replies to this topic

Shuki

Shuki
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 19:09

Hi,

Running
VS Studio 2003
DotNet Framework 1.1

On XP Pro

I have an application and a matching deployment project(actualy several)that have been developed under my own user account.

The Install builds and installs without any problems.

I wanted to isolate the build of the project from the development part. To this end, I created a new user on my machine and checked out a fresh copy of all the projects from the source control. The idea being that each time, I would wipe out the code and get a new copy.

I complied them all, again without any probelems.

However when I went to biuld the deployment projects, VS starts looking for a source of some kind and then reports an error (1706) that it cannot find the source for the installer.

If I cancel, the project will biuld and not show any errors.

I'm rather confused by this, since this is an error that shows up duing the Install/ReInstall on a machine, not while building it.

What exactly is it looking for? why can it not be found on the new account.

Both accounts are admin accounts. The source code is in a diorectory that both can access
c:\myproject\....

Thanks in advance for any ideas or suggestions.

Joshua Maeir
Senior Software Engineer
Kesser Technical Group
Brighton, MA USA
joshua@kessertech.com

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 10:55

I guess that it is trying to repair some other software (maybe Visual Studio irself). Take a look at http://www.msifaq.com/a/1037.htm for steps to diagnose the problem.

Shuki

Shuki
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 18:49

Stefan,

Thanks, I think I have my finger on the culprit.

I found lots of these

Detection of product '{20610409-CA18-41A6-9E21-A93AE82EE7C5}', feature 'Visual_Studio.NET_Professional', component '{C9AF9050-C8BE-11D1-9C67-0000F81F1B38}' failed. The resource 'HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\10.0\Common\UserData' does not exist.

My guess is that Office does not know of this new user.
I'll have to work out why...

But it seems to be clear that when the MSI went to get one of the components that I used on the GUI, it could not find it. dry.gif

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 11:05

Try inserting the appropriate visual studio installation cd and then trigger the action that causes the self repair.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

Shuki

Shuki
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 16:26

The thing is, that this does not seem to be a VS problem,
the user key is from office, not from VS.

or perhaps that is where VS stores components?

dacow

dacow
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 August 2004 - 05:35

not sure if this is relevant but Office seems to not create that key. Office 2000 doesn't create the key. This problem is fixed in Office XP/2k3.

Under Terminal Server environments you used to have to manually create the key per use, or set it via GPO to get rid of alot of Office error messages.