This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Buggered INI files

4 replies to this topic

jwakeman

jwakeman
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 September 2002 - 23:40

I noticed too late that between ISrepackager and Author one of my INI files got buggered up -- an extra trailing bracket on a section header, e.g. [section]]. Now I have a hundred machines in the field with a worthless INI. Every line is hosed.

I wrote a followup .MSI that copies a correct INI file, but this won't work for any machine which has modified the INI (i.e. the INI on the machine has a newer datetime stamp than the one in the fix.MSI).

How can I make a package that copies the INI file regardless of what's found on the target system? Put another way, how do I say "copy this file even if it's older than that found on the target system"?

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 24 September 2002 - 20:34

You could author an entry in the RemoveFile table to would delete the existing file before copying the new.
Or a custom action that would fix the INI file.

bigpete

bigpete
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 October 2002 - 12:30

If ini file is in it's own component, you set the "Never Overwrite" to No in the component properties and it will copy the file irrespective of it's age.

Pete

bigpete

bigpete
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 October 2002 - 12:32

oops...It's only does the update based on version.

bigpete

bigpete
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 December 2002 - 20:51

Why not create the ini file on a machine with a time and date set 2 weeks in the future? bit of a dodge but the date would be new and might actual copy over the buggered one.