This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

ERROR_UNINSTSETUP

7 replies to this topic

BobRouse

BobRouse
  • Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 20 June 2001 - 20:22

I get the warning "ERROR_UNINSTSETUP" the first time the setup runs, but not after. The setup was created on an NT4 box, and is being run on an NT2000 box, in case that makes a difference. Any ideas on where this is coming from would be appreciated.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 20 June 2001 - 20:40

Is this a Windows Installer (MSI) based setup? I guess it's not, but was created with InstallShield Professional 5 or 6 (Standard Edition).

BobRouse

BobRouse
  • Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 20 June 2001 - 20:52

This install was created using InstallShield Professional Windows Installer Edition, ver 2.03.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 21 June 2001 - 06:59

Is it calling DeinstallStart in an InstallScript custom action?
Does the ERROR_UNINSTSETUP message pop up all the time, or only sometimes, on some machines? (I'm only talking about first time installs here)

BobRouse

BobRouse
  • Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 21 June 2001 - 14:23

It is not calling DeinstallStart in an InstallScript custom action. Since this is still in the testing phase, and being a very small company, we don't have a lot of machines to test on. Most are still NT4, which don't exhibit this problem. We only have one NT2000 box which we can screw up without consequence. I know that's not much to go on...

==============================
UPDATE: We've seen this on two separate Win2K machines. One of them we ghosted prior to the first install. Every time we do the install for the first time after restoring the image from the ghost, the error appears. The error does not reappear during subsequent uninstalls and reinstalls (until we restore the ghosted image again).

(Edited by BobRouse at 9:24 pm on June 25, 2001)

BobRouse

BobRouse
  • Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 16 August 2001 - 16:40

I am still looking for resolution for this. To summarize:
1) I am using ISWI 2.03
2) The error (warning) only occurs when installing to  Win2K
3) The warning only occurs the first time the product is installed, subsequent installs produce no error.
4) The warning is occurring either at the very end of the User Interface portion or the very beginning of the Execute section.
5) The error is not occuring during processing of any InstallScript CA
6) I've tried using the command line arguments to generate a detailed log, but there is nothing there that stands out.
Any suggestions or information is greatly appreciated.

Bob Rouse
Netuitive, Inc.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 17 August 2001 - 09:40

Are you using any custom actions or merge modules that might call IS5 based setups?
Is this ERROR_UNINSTSETUP also in the log file? During which action does this error occur?
Does setup complete successfully after you click OK on the error dialog?

BobRouse

BobRouse
  • Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 17 August 2001 - 14:48

Boy, is my face red....

Some of the script was rolled over from an InstallShield 5 install. When I started the project, I was new to InstallShield; there was a small piece of code which I didn't really understand, but figured was important. I left it in, it eventually got buried, and I forgot about it. I happened to stumble across it yesterday, and - lo and behold - it was the culprit all along.

Oops...

I apologize for wasting your time with this.

Bob Rouse
Netuitive, Inc.