This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Installshield break the rules?

1 reply to this topic

etippelt

etippelt
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 October 2003 - 15:58

I have in my code store, four versions of isscript.msi - two at version 7, one at version 8 and one at version 9. They install their files into different folders when installed on a clean build.
Yet every one of these isscript.msi files has the same product code, the same upgrade code, the same product name and the same product version.
What makes this even crazier is that the versions are not major version backwards compatible - ie: you can't use the version 9 isscript.msi with an app which expects version 7.
Because these runtimes share the same guids, you can't install more than one on your machine.
Have I missed something here, or is this another piece of crippleware ?

EdT
ERT

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 05 November 2003 - 19:09

From Bob Baker's "Getting Started With Installshield Developer and Windows Installer Setups":

"Every Standar project installs the InstallScript engine on the target machine and every Basic MSI project installs the InstallScript engine if the project uses any InstallScript custom actions. The installation of the InstallScript engine is peformed using a Basic MSI project that has been modified so that there is no registration performed of the product code. This means that the InstallScript engine can be installed over and over again without ever initiating a maintenance mode operation...Six components are used to install these six files and these components have NULL component codes so the Windows Installer does does not know about these files after they have been installed".

As you understand the installation of the Installscript engine is pretty exotic (it also has some major weirdness going on with COM registration. No wonder the "Error 1607: Unable to Install InstallShield Scripting Run Time" is so prevailing.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul