This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

update.exe expects msi file

2 replies to this topic

hennom

hennom
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 June 2002 - 13:07

Hi,

I've created an update.exe for a VB-application using the patch-wizard in ISD 7.03.
Testing it on an Windows NT 4.0 SP6 configuration it works.
Testing it on Windows '98 SE (where the application is installed) I get the following error-message (free translation from Dutch):
"Can't find an installation-package for product XYZ.
Perform the installation again with a valid installation-package "XYZ.msi" .
After clicking <OK> error-code -1603 "Fatal error during installation"  is showed.

What is wrong?

Henno.

hennom

hennom
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 June 2002 - 07:13

I found the answer, it'a bug in Windows Installer.
The bug is discribed in Microsoft Knowledge base article: Q268800.

Windows Installer expects the "original" MIS file on the location where the application origanally was installed from.
In the NT surrounding above, the patch was performed from the network where the original setup was still existing.
In the '98 surrounding the patch was performed from a CD-ROM with only the patch on it. When I made a new CD-ROM with the patch and a complete setup (of the newer version!;) it was working.  

My only problem now is how to distribute the patch from www, where no original setup is available.

According to the knowlegebase article, this problem occurs always using Windows Installer 1.*, and in some (many) cases usinf Windows Installer 2.0, depending on the way the patch is build.
Because my patch was created by the patch wizzard of ISD 7.03 I think Installshield has to improve ths wizzard on this point.

Banjo

Banjo
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 July 2002 - 16:17

That article states that it is a bug in the WIS and it really has nothing to do with Installshield.
Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.