This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Install MSI update AND W2K SP2 w/ only 1 reboot

3 replies to this topic

colby

colby
  • Full Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 14 October 2002 - 16:07

My installation (standard ISDev project) requires W2K SP2 and will install it from the source media if it isn't already installed.  However, if the MSI update instmsiw.exe is run before the W2K SP2 install, the latter will fail with an error that says something like 'can't run because a reboot is pending'.  This occurs only when I select the 'Delay MSI Engine Reboot' option.  However, rebooting the system immediately after instmsiw.exe is run is not an option so I need the reboot delayed option left on.  I want only 1 reboot (at the end of both installations).

I'm using the SP2 update.exe command line arguments "-u -n -o -z" (or "-u -n -o -z -q" if the parent install is running in silent mode).

Any ideas on how to handle this situation?  Is there a registry entry I can modify temporarily?

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 15 October 2002 - 20:34

Maybe you can instead install W2K SP3 which as far as I know includes the latest MSI version

colby

colby
  • Full Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 18 October 2002 - 20:37

So does SP2.  The problem is the standard project requires MSI 2.0 so it is automatically installed BEFORE my installation runs (which subsequently launches the SP install).

Here's how I got around the problem:

Delete the registry value "PendingFileRenameOperations" from the key "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager" that was set when instmsiw.exe was executed.  Installing the SP _should_ duplicate the values since the same files are installed by the SP.

Of course, this is dangerous - especially if there was a "PendingFileRenameOperations" value set before instmsiw.exe was called.  But it seems to work for my situation.

Leigh Ravenhall

Leigh Ravenhall
  • Members
  • 269 posts

Posted 21 October 2002 - 00:19

SP2 doesn't include the 2.0 runtimes.  The development environment I work in is Win2K SP2, and only machines that have had a specific requirement for it have the Installer 2.0 runtimes.
Leigh Ravenhall
Expert Information Services