This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

General Update Question

1 reply to this topic

WJSavoye

WJSavoye
  • Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 05 October 2001 - 22:51

During installs using InstallShield 7.0, is my cab file copied to the hard disk?
For example, with InstallShield 6.x, some setup files are copied to the 'InstallShield Installation Information' directory. But not Data1.cab.
So if a user runs Maintain | Modify and selects a component not already installed, they will be prompted to re-insert their installation CD.

Is this also true for InstallShield 7.0? i.e. if a user wants to add a new "Feature", will they need to re-insert the setup CD again?

The main reason I ask is so I can understand patching in InstallShield 7.0.
Can a patch update a feature that has not been installed yet?
If the entire Data1.cab file resides on the hard disk, then maybe this is possible. But if not, then the patch can only update the msi file database about what version of each feature is available; the feature itself can not be updated. If this is correct, will Windows Installer let the user know about the newer version of the feature if they decide to install it? Then the user can run the patch again to get that one feature's update.
Is this correct? I need to know the big picture before I look at details.
WJSavoye

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 09 October 2001 - 14:24

The patch will be cached on the machine. When the setup is run in maintenance mode the patch will be re-applied. Any additionally selected feature will automatically be patched.