This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

ClearCase and Install Shield

3 replies to this topic

Becky Nichols

Becky Nichols
  • Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 04 December 2001 - 23:58

Hi All,

I have put my installation projects under the configuration management tool, ClearCase.  I find it very cumbersome.  Our CM rules don't allow changes on main/line and so many files end up on a branch with no changes, etc.  If you use IS in ClearCase, and are willing, please post you email address to me.  Maybe I can get some tips from you.

Thanks,

Becky

lasenbby

lasenbby
  • Members
  • 744 posts

Posted 05 December 2001 - 20:25

You should search this site as I posted one on this topic.

The gist of it is that you can use this dos command in a batch file to co:
FOR /F "delims=" %%i in ('dir /s /b') do cleartool co -nc "%%i"
to ci a little more involved but not bad:
@echo off
if "%1" == "" goto END:

FOR /F "delims=" %%i in ('dir /s /b') do cleartool ci -c %1 -nwa -ide "%%i"
goto DONE:

:END
echo usage:   ci p1
echo where p1 is the tagging label for the checkin
:DONE

(the above commands don't work at the dos prompt as you must use % instead of %%.  Also, you must manually "add to source" and rmname any files that you decide to add, move or remove, say, in the setup files pane dirs, etc.)

I suggest that you leave the entire project checked out when building and making changes.  When done working, ci.  Before building, co.  Reason is that IS changes files in multiple places and for you to catch them all is a chore.

You should be working out of a single branch anyway.  Although, we are allowed to change the trunk uptil a point (release candidate).  So I am unsure what all your problems and the solutions may be.

If you have specific questions, use the this board's messaging and I'll see if I can help.

Blake Miller Wonder

Blake Miller Wonder
  • Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 05 December 2001 - 23:12

We use ClearCase as well, for the last three or so years.  I usually check files out manually using the Windows Explorer extensions.  I learned early on not to check in the 'disk images' folder.  Also, it seems InstallShield tries to write to the IPR file evey time you build, even though it might not change anything.  Otherwise, I check out the files I need to work on, and then manually check them all in. I use 'Find Checkouts' to locate what I had checked out.  It supports bulk checking in.  The ClearCase Explorer allows you to readily distinguish between the view private files and those that are versioned elements.

bigjim

bigjim
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 March 2002 - 11:48

We use ClearCase with IS and use snapshot views rather than dynamic. This gives you the option to hijack files (remove read-only rather than co). Whenever IS needs a file to not be read-only (for instance when compiling or building) it will ask you if you want to remove the read-only attribute. Say yes and all will be well. When you have finished just update the directory containing all your IS files from Windows Explorer or ClearCase Explorer and ClearCase will tell you which files are hijacked and you can then decide whether to checkout and checkin or undo the hijack.

This will allow you to work away without worrying about which files need to be checked out.