This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Install from the Web Question

1 reply to this topic

barclayr

barclayr
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 February 2002 - 11:35

A release with 'Install from the web' options produces the setup.exe, the .msi file and individual .cab for each component.

Developer 7.02
Media Type:Web
Web type: Install from the Web
One CAB per component
One click install (install.htm)
Installer service - none selected

Why does the .msi file contain all the components/files as well? ( Its 8M, almost the same as all my files/data in total, and I can recreate the entire project by running the conversion wizard on it)

It has to be downloaded and then references the individual CAB files (i tried removing them from the site just to see). So in effect Im downloading the entire installation as opposed to only the required components.

Has anyone else noticed this and is it a setting that I have missed?

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 12 February 2002 - 16:04

What size do you get if you build a network install, all files compressed, but no setup.exe? Is the resulting msi file still 8 MB?

The msi size can be caused by merge modules or custom actions. It may also include the installer for the InstallScript engine.

You can recreate a project from the msi file because it includes all the information (logic and file lists), but not the files themselves (only the list with pointers to the cab files). At least that's how it should be.