This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Add Remove Programs Displayed Version...

2 replies to this topic

Superfreak3

Superfreak3
  • Full Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 16:35

Hi All,

I was wondering if there was a way to tweak either the .msi or the registry to set the version displayed in Add/Remove Programs to reflect the actual applications .exe version. Since Windows Installer only recognizes/used #.#.# and executables and libraries are versioned #.#.#.#, they are out of wack a bit.

I would like add remove programs to reflect 1.2.0.44 instead of our install product version crunch to 1.2.44.

Then my question would be, would any change to this potentially harm the uninstall or upgrade processes due to a displayed version change.

I do see that in the registry that if I change the DisplayVersion value of HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Unintstall\{Product GUID} key, I see it reflected in ARP.

It would be nice, if a change here doesn't cause problems, I could set this in the .msi instead of setting in the registry at the end of the install.

Thoughts, pointers, pitfalls, warnings appreciated!

Thanks!

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 18:53

Did you try setting the fourth filed of ProductVersion ? Windows Installer ignored the fourth filed for product version comparisons, but I think it should write it to ARP.

Superfreak3

Superfreak3
  • Full Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 19:48

It does, but that won't work for us. Our in house versioning might be something like this... 1.2.0.45. Then when the next release is ready, it might be something like 1.2.1.76. We would be OK so far if we were to use the full, four position version as the installs ProductVersion. However, there are occassions where there might be a release of 1.2.1.95, for example. This won't work properly for updating purposes.