This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

ispreventdowngrade is blocking an upgrade

Best Answer overlord , 31 August 2015 - 20:00

ok so I decided to go back and poke at this a little more. I had cut and paste the setup  for ISPREVENTDOWNGRADE from the official documentation for installshield found here: 

http://helpnet.flexe...gDowngrades.htm which has the following information I used.

In the Minimum Version setting, specify the product version that you are using for your current project.
As an alternative, you can enter the following string in this setting:

***ALL_VERSION***

which should actually be ALL_VERSIONS plural. When I caught the mistake and added one freaking s preventdowngrade started working the way it was supposed to. 

Go to the full post

7 replies to this topic

overlord

overlord
  • Full Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 21:07

So I have an existing product which is already in client hands. I created a new installer for an updated version of the application. I have bumped the version number and run the setup.exe and I get the ispreventdowngrade pop up saying I am attempting to install an older version. 

I have tried bumping the product and package code and creating a new installer from scratch. everything leads to the same end result.

Any idea what can be causing this?

the two previous existing versions of the application both seem to have this issue. The original one is 1.x.xxxx and the current released version is 2.0.3001

I have tried bumping the new one up to 2.0.4001 and 2.1.1001. Neither seems to resolve the issue.

Any ideas as to what can cause this?

deramor

deramor
  • Full Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 21:12

Check your upgrade settings.

The ISPreventDowngrade Upgrade item has product versions listed in it.

My settings are as follows and it works for me:

Selected "Within a specific range of versions: (Minimum Version - Maximum Version)

Uncheck Version Range Inclusive

Min Version is set to my project's current version.

Max version is blank.

overlord

overlord
  • Full Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 14:52

on the updated installer I can tell for sure that is the case. I cannot tell for sure that this is the case for the legacy versions out there.

deramor

deramor
  • Full Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 19:13

You can try opening the old installers in Orca.  (Open the MSI files)

Orca will let you look at the tables.  If you compare the Upgrade table of the old installers with the fixed table of your new installer, you can see if they are doing different things on an upgrade.

overlord

overlord
  • Full Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 20:07

I always forget about orca... I will look into that to figure out the cause of the issue. However as a work around I bumped the GUID for the upgrade code and then added an entry for the old upgrade code with any previous version. It now upgrades the previous releases properly 0.o

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 08:39

When you perform a Major Upgrade, the ISPreventDowngrade action in the NEW setup is executed, not the one in the old version. So it should work if you fixed the setting in the new version. Of course you need to look at the ProductVersion setting in the old version and make sure your ISPreventDowngrade alolows installation if that version exists.

overlord

overlord
  • Full Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 27 August 2015 - 17:01

Ok figured the cause out finally - The PackageCode was not changing despite the flag being set to true to change this every build. I lied - that was A problem but not THE problem

Edited by overlord, 27 August 2015 - 21:00.

overlord

overlord
  • Full Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 20:00   Best Answer

ok so I decided to go back and poke at this a little more. I had cut and paste the setup  for ISPREVENTDOWNGRADE from the official documentation for installshield found here: 

http://helpnet.flexe...gDowngrades.htm which has the following information I used.

In the Minimum Version setting, specify the product version that you are using for your current project.
As an alternative, you can enter the following string in this setting:

***ALL_VERSION***

which should actually be ALL_VERSIONS plural. When I caught the mistake and added one freaking s preventdowngrade started working the way it was supposed to.