This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Elevated Privileges

4 replies to this topic

lavocat

lavocat
  • Full Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 15:18

It is possible to bypass the user's permissions (elevated privilege) using a tool such Group Policy.

Currently I use the install condition "AdminUser" so the setup won't continue when the user hasn't admin rights. Ok but I'm asking if the condition "AdminUser" is ok when the setup is launched using a tool such Group Policy? I want to allow the use of a such tool and I heard that only the execute sequence service is granted...

Thank you!

babric

babric
  • Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 15:47

And what about the "privileged" property condition ?
Is it less secure than AdminUser ?

Thanks !

Zweitze

Zweitze
  • Full Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 18 August 2005 - 21:32

[AdminUser] is not set when the install is run with elevated rights.
[Priviliged] (btw starts with a capital P) means that either [AdminUser] is true, or the install is running with elevated rights.

An install with elevated rights means that the execute sequence is run using the account of the Windows Installer service, instead of the account of the active user. Usually this is the SYSTEM account.

lavocat

lavocat
  • Full Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 13:30

It's clear now

So I should use [Priviligied] instead of [AdminUser] as install condition of my basic msi project?

Edited by lavocat, 19 August 2005 - 13:30.

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 16:26

In short: yes :-).
Regards
-Stein Åsmul