This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Log-files of GPO deploying

2 replies to this topic

nesesser

nesesser
  • Full Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 07:24

Hi all.
I faced the problem.
My MSI package supposed to be installed through GPO - supposed mass deploying.
All is fine, it works. But it is very difficult to find installation logs when installation problems occurs - because when mass deploying is going all log-file names generates randomly and logs places in C:\WINDOWS\Temp\ folder. That's why I want to set log-file name inside the MSI package - it will facilitate searching for log files.

Q:
How to instruct Windows Installer when GPO deploying is going:
1. Where should place the log-file?
2. What name it should have?

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 22:21

On the msiexec command line there's a switch where you can define the log location and name. Not sure if that's available via GPO.
You cannot set the log location from inside the msi setup, but there's a property that automatically gets populated with this information (read only) so you could store it somewhere.

Zweitze

Zweitze
  • Full Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 22:56

The logging policy always stores the log file in the temp folder of the active user. If nobody is logged in, the log is saved in the temp folder of the system.
When the logging policy is active, logging also occurs on auto-repair, install on demand etc., basically every time that MsiInstallProduct() is called. The log file name is always unique (no previous log is overwritten) but has the format MSIxxxx.tmp. There is one exception: when MsiEnableLog() was called before MsiInstallProduct(), the log file goes to the location requested in MsiEnableLog.