This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Feature Design with Duplicate Files

4 replies to this topic

LanceSc

LanceSc
  • Full Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 April 2005 - 23:43

Hello everyone,

Here is my situation hopefully you can help me with it. I have an install with 9 different subfeatures depending on the version of a program that a user has installed. The user will have at least one version of the product installed and could possibly have all 9 versions installed. Each version for a program is a subfeature of my main install. The subfeatures all contains file that are unique.

My problem is how to deal with the common files for the subfeatures, the total size of the files is 1 meg, so I do not want to have 9 copies of them in the install. Normally I would use the duplicate file action to take care of this. My problem is that the duplicate file action requires the file to be installed before it can be copied. Because the user can pick any combinations of the 9 subfeatures I don't know where to intially install the files to so I can use the duplicate file table. Does anyone have any suggestions?

TIA,

Lance.

KathyMorey

KathyMorey
  • Full Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 14:23

Have you thought about having a single (invisible?) feature to contain all the common files, that always gets installed?
Kathy Morey
Synergy Software Engineer
ProfitStars, a Jack Henry Company
kmorey@profitstars.com

LanceSc

LanceSc
  • Full Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 16:26

Kathy thanks for the response this sounds really promising. When you say the feature is invisible, what exactly do you mean.

Thanks Again,

Lance.

_nick_

_nick_
  • Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 17:37

In WiX you can hide the feature by setting the Display attribute to 0. If you are building the MSI by hand, editing the tables yourself in orce, set the Display column to 0.

http://msdn.microsof...ature_table.asp

Zweitze

Zweitze
  • Full Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 29 April 2005 - 08:12

Organize the 'common files' in components, and add these components to multiple features. (I assume you never realized that one component can be installed by multiple features.)