I'm trying to get a little more knowledge about packaging so I played a while with building "chained msi's
1. First I started Installshield editor.
2. Start a new Basic Msi Project and I called it "ChainedMsi"
3. Open tab Installation Designer.
4. Scrolled down and clik on Releases
5. In the right pane under Chained .msi Packages I point to one of my msi's
6. I choose Not streaming, so the path is: [SourceDir]5dd8c7.msi
7. Next step: I point to another .msi [SourceDir]1ef839.msi
8 I saved the .ism and did a Build
My log file says 0 errors - 2 warnings:
ISDEV : warning -1527: No files are included in the project.
ISDEV : warning -6122: No components are included in the build.
When I run the "ChainedMsi", I indeed have no Features or Components.
It starts making a empty c:\Program Files\My Company Name, which dissapear after the last dialog with the message: The wizard was interrupted before ChainedMsi could be completely installed
Ok, so I made a Feature and a component:
9. Scrolled up to Setup Design
10. In the right pane, I rightclicked on Setup Design andinsert a NewFeature1
11. Under NewFeature1 I created a Component
12. I expand that Component and under Files I add the 5dd8c7.msi
13. I insert another Feature and Component for 1ef839.msi
14. I did a new .ism save and a Build Release 1
My log file says:
Product Configuration 1\Release 1 - 0 error(s), 0 warning(s)
Now, when I a run the ChainedMsi:
- I do not see the features under 'Custom' installation?
- I see the same dialog
Where did I go wrong?
Edited by adenm, 23 November 2010 - 11:53.