This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Uninstall Failure -- Can't Uninstall

5 replies to this topic

cmahood

cmahood
  • Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 29 March 2004 - 20:19

I am using a deferred custom action that calls a function in a DLL that installs a device driver.

The application was installed, but everytime I run setup, it detects the presence of the application and I am only given the option to remove. When I atttempt to remove, the DLL returns an ERROR_INSTALL_FAILURE, which the installer interprets as a failure and attempts to rollback the uninstall, thus I am not able to uninstall (or reinstall) my application.

Rebuilding my installer and/or DLL does not seem to work as setup seems to always use the versions that were registered with the OS. Therefore I am stuck!

Does anyone know how to manually uninstall an application or have another workaround?

Thanks!

luke_s

luke_s
  • Full Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 30 March 2004 - 04:17

Try grabbing the cached msi file out of %WINDIR%\installer, and editing it with orca or install shield so that your custom action does not run.

i.e. - give the action a condition of NEVER_RUN=1

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 30 March 2004 - 08:53

Make sure you change the PackageCode with each new build. Now you can install the new version on top of the old version - either simply using setup.exe (in newer InstallShiled versions), or by setting REINSTALLMODE=vomus REINSTALL=ALL on the command line. This will replace the cahed (buggy) .msi file with the new one.

cmahood

cmahood
  • Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 30 March 2004 - 21:31

QUOTE (Stefan Krueger @ 2004-03-30 08:53)
Make sure you change the PackageCode with each new build. Now you can install the new version on top of the old version - either simply using setup.exe (in newer InstallShiled versions), or by setting REINSTALLMODE=vomus REINSTALL=ALL on the command line. This will replace the cahed (buggy) .msi file with the new one.

Stefan,
Thanks for your prompt advice. I have used the Releases view to specify that, Yes, I would like a new GUID for each build.

When I run setup.exe (Developer 7), I get an error message stating that "a previous version of this software is already installed", and that I need to use Control Panel --> add/remove programs to get rid of the old version.

When I try to use add/remove programs to uninstall, I still have the same problem of not being able to remove the application. mad.gif

Any other ideas? Am I missing something.

cmahood

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 01 April 2004 - 07:53

You have to use the REINSTALLMODE command line to update the existing version with your new version.

cmahood

cmahood
  • Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 16 April 2004 - 18:37

Stefan,

Thanks! biggrin.gif