This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

FilesInUse pointing to wrong process

2 replies to this topic

Marius Blomli

Marius Blomli
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 May 2006 - 19:20

When I have several instances of our application running and I attempt to overinstall over one of them, The FilesInUse dialog has a habit of suggesting to close the wrong one.

My current guess is that it matches processes using the name of the executable of the process that holds the file being replaced. When several instances are running, it seems to just pick the first it encounters. Of course this does no harm, but it confuses and worries users, as the installer seems to be doing erratic and wrong things.

Has anyone encountered this and know of a workaround or solution?

All suggestions are appreciated! smile.gif

luke_s

luke_s
  • Full Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 01:59

I dont think the "FilesInUse" action is coded to spit out the actual process holding the file open. It sounds like a design feature for the Windows Installer engine.

The install would warn that the file "xyz" is held in use, so the user must close down the program holding that open before they can continue.

just my 2 cents :-)

Marius Blomli

Marius Blomli
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 08:19

Thanks for your input. smile.gif

The dialog lists the window title, so it is actually making an attempt at being specific. In this case, the window title will change when the app is in different states. As a result different instances of the same application will often have different window titles, and the FilesInUse dialog has a tendency to list the wrong one.