This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

how to drop a column in the MSI table

8 replies to this topic

angp

angp
  • Full Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 08:21

Hi,

Anyone has any idea how to use the WiRunSQL.vbs script to drop a column in the MSI table?

I have read the MS website but still have no idea how to go about it.
Any example will be appreciated. smile.gif

Thanks,
angp

luke_s

luke_s
  • Full Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 17 October 2005 - 23:38

Why do you need to drop a column?

Or do you mean a row?

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 18 October 2005 - 00:22

It sounds strange to drop a column from a table - this is kind of a database structure / schema change. Are you sure this is what you want to do?
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 18 October 2005 - 08:50

I don't think you can drop columns, only rows.

Zweitze

Zweitze
  • Full Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 18 October 2005 - 23:28

Orca can delete columns, at least from custom tables (context menu of table, "edit schema" or something like that). Maybe it deletes records from the Columns_ table.
I'm curious what you want to achieve though?

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 09:54

If you delete a column from an MSI file you could remove a column that is used as a foreign key into another table. This will break the database integrity and consistency. I also think you can corrupt the _Validation table by deleting stuff rom your MSI file. I am sure there is plenty more that can break.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

angp

angp
  • Full Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 04:04

Hi All,

The reason why i'm asking for dropping a column is because i have a 3rd party MSI project that uses older version of WISE. Whenever i need to merge my MSI changes with the 3rd party there is a table that having mismatch column. The WiseRelease table.

i thou of having a cleaner way of automating the process of fixing the table to be of the same column as the 3rd party.

regards,
angp

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 09:47

Does that table have any meaning in the built MSI file at all? Otherwise you could just drop the table.
Also I think you can ADD columns.

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 12:57

I am pretty sure you can drop all wise tables from the MSI without causing serious problems. You may get some issues with the _Validation table.

The stuff you will lose is stuff such as source paths, release settings etc...
Regards
-Stein Åsmul