This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

InstallLocation key blank after minor update

6 replies to this topic

aikae11

aikae11
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 October 2004 - 16:51

I know I must be missing something somewhere, but I haven't a clue where to begin to look so I would appreciate any advice.

After a fresh install, the Uninstall\{GUID} InstallLocation value in the registry is properly filled in. Upon a subsequent minor update, the InstallLocation value no longer contains the install path but rather a blank string.

Is this normal behavior, and can anyone help me to stop it?

I forgot to add that I'm using DevStudio 9.

TIA,
Wendy

Edited by aikae11, 22 October 2004 - 16:56.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 25 October 2004 - 20:38

Do you have any component that installs to INSTALLDIR?

aikae11

aikae11
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 October 2004 - 12:29

Yes, all of the components install to INSTALLDIR.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 26 October 2004 - 12:35

Generate a log to see if INSTALLDIR gets populated correctly during maintenance mode. Also check the conditions on the SetArpInstallLocation custom action (from InstallShield)

aikae11

aikae11
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 October 2004 - 17:20

Many thanks, Stefan!

For some reason the default Install Exec Condition on the SetArpInstallLocation custom action was set to 'Not Installed'. I'm not quite sure why, but I guess that wiped out the previous value in the registry.

At any rate, I removed the condition and it is working fine now. I hope there are no repercussions from removing the 'Not Installed' condition. Any ideas why that would be the default?

Thanks again for the tips.
Wendy

bobinyec

bobinyec
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 21:58

Please be advised that even if you remove the condition on SETARPINSTALLLOCATION, if you do the minor upgrade as a patch, and then uninstall that patch, the blanked-out fields will be blanked out again.

Thanks,

John Bobinyec

sebica79

sebica79
  • Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 10 December 2005 - 15:39

From my point of view, I still consider this a limitation of InstallShield. In the future, try to create a CA which writes a value in the registry for the install directory. I think it is enough to read the value for INSTALLDIR, and write up that value in one registry string value for further usage.