This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

File removed but not reinstalled on Major upgrade

3 replies to this topic

LindaT

LindaT
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 March 2004 - 15:22

Hi,

I'm doing a major upgrade on a previous installation. Package code, version number and product code have changed.
All component codes are the same in both installations.
RemoveExistingProducts is sequenced between InstallValidate and InstallInitialize.

Some of the files are new, others have the same versions as before.

This is what I thought would happen when performing a major upgrade:
- all "old" files are first uninstalled, then all the files included in the new installation are installed

I have one problem with this. It seems that files with the same version number in both installations are removed, but not reinstalled! The log says: "Won't Overwrite; No patch; Existing file is of an equal version"

Where is this component/file comparison done, in which CA? Can I affect this is some way?

Hope someone out there can help me with this, it's quite urgent...

Regards,
Linda

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 24 March 2004 - 11:14

The comparison happens in CostFinalize.
You may want to move RemoveExistingProducts to a higher sequence number.

LindaT

LindaT
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 March 2004 - 11:49

Thank you!
I've moved RemoveExistingProducts now, so it's after InstallFinalize. It seems to work, but are there any drawbacks to placing it there?
We install the files to the same place as the old application during major upgrade, and according to the help file, "the installer updates files before removing the old applications. Only the files being updated get installed during the installation. If the removal of the old application fails, then the installer only rolls back the uninstallation of the old application. "

Linda

cherukus

cherukus
  • Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 03 May 2004 - 17:36

We install the files to the same place as the old application during major upgrade.

Hi Linda, how do you make sure you are installing to the same location as of previous installed location ?