This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

"UpgradeCode" for installscript installer

3 replies to this topic

overlordchin

overlordchin
  • Full Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 18:36

I have an installscript installer that we have been using and are looking to replace with an MSI based installer. I need to be able to find the UpgradeCode in the installscript installer so that I can create an entry in the upgrade table of the msi based installer. Is this even possible. the installscript installer does not appear to have such a beast anywhere in the xml or UI in installshield 2009 which is what I am currently using.

Is there any way to upgrade from an installscript installer to an msi based installer using installshield?
I would prefer to do a major upgrade and completely remove the previous version if at all possible...

thoughts?

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 14:44

UpgradeCodes are unique to MSI installs and I don't believe such a transitional upgrade is really possible. Although my MSI development experience is limited.

Instead I would recommend having the MSI setup automatically uninstall the previous InstallScript non-MSI installation and then perform its own full install.

Note, the nature of this question is better suited to the InstallScript MSI forum, so moving the post accordingly.
user posted image

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 13:45

Taco is correct. There's no automatic upgrade path. You would have to use a custiom action that runs the uninstall command (which can be read from the Uninstall registry key) for the old version.

overlordchin

overlordchin
  • Full Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 17:15

thanks for the help guys