This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

incorrect command line parameters

3 replies to this topic

jennetta

jennetta
  • Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 21 January 2004 - 15:49

The documented command line options for the bootstrap setup.exe that is generated by Microsoft's Visual Studio Installer do not seem to be working. Every command line option I try results in the same error dialog: "Incorrect command line parameters.". I've tried /s and /w and /v/qn but all and individually yield the same error.

Does anyone know if this bootstrapper takes command line options? If so, what's going on here?

Example command line: setup.exe /s

Thanks,
Bill
Bill

Balachandar

Balachandar
  • Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 21 January 2004 - 17:20

Please try the command line options of msiexec

For Eg: /f /a /x /j /L /q

For silent install try setup.exe /q

jennetta

jennetta
  • Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 21 January 2004 - 17:26

Well, it turns out that I stumbled onto the apparent fact that this bootstapper setup.exe is just passing everything sent on the command line to msiexec. So using setup.exe /qn results in a silent run of msiexec.exe. But what about command line options for setup.exe? I was using an option of /w with a different bootstrapper that caused the setup.exe to wait until msiexec was finished installing the .msi. This enabled setup.exe to be called from an install script and to have the calling install wait until the called install was finished. Now apparently that feature is not available to me with this bootstrapper. And I cannot call msiexec directly in case windows install is not previously installed. Or am I missing something in my understanding?

Thanks for your reply.

Bill
Bill

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 21 January 2004 - 22:10

http://www.installsi...ifaq/a/1024.htm
Regards
-Stein Åsmul