This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Windows installer for Vista

5 replies to this topic

Msiuser

Msiuser
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 10:56

My installer works fine in XP. Do I need to rebuild with Vista SDK for
installer to work in vista..I am facing issue in installing it on Vista
Beta1. Any help in this regard is appreciated.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 09:54

No, in general an .msi file created for MSI 2.x or 3.x should work fine on Vista (with MSI 4.x). Can you describe your problem in more detail? What's failing, how does it fail, do you get any error messages, did you generate a verbose log?

Msiuser

Msiuser
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 11:20

I am installing the product by calling the msi from setup. The call MSIInstallProduct() is failing which works fine on XP for the same binary..The error is 'Fatal error during installation'.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 13 December 2005 - 12:51

Can you try with msiexec and a verbose log?

Msiuser

Msiuser
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 December 2005 - 14:17

Ran through msiexec. msiexec /j <.msi> /log <logfile> Getting the following error:"You must have administrator rights to run this installation. Please login as an administrator and re-run this installation", even though the user has admin rights. This happens for XP as well. But, when ran through setup, the complete installation goes through fine in XP which is not working in Vista Beta 1.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 15 December 2005 - 17:48

In Vista accounts are locked down by default, maybe even the admin account. It may neeed to be elevated. I don't recall all the details but look for LUA instalaltions in the SDK or MSDN.