This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Setup PRQ Fails

1 reply to this topic

bilandra2

bilandra2
  • Full Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 15:53

Hello again. smile.gif

So I'm experiencing a bazaar problem, and I want to make sure I understand how setup prerequisites work, and under what circumstances they would not.

We have about ten products that all use the same program (TPE). The TPE installer is downloaded and installed as a prereq in all of the 2011 product installers. The TPE program and installer have been updated, and I believe that the purpose of the prq is that I can put the new version of TPE on the server, along with the server-based prq, without changing any of the 2011 product installers, and they should effectively download the new version of TPE. However, they are not. I get a warning that "The installation of TPE appears to have failed. Would you like to continue?"

Any idea what causes this to happen? I thought the installer based PRQ basically just points to a location on the server, and grabs the server based PRQ. The server based PRQ then looks at the checksum of the installer included in the server based PRQ and if it matches checksum of the installer on the server, it will download and install it.

Am I just misunderstanding how PRQs work?!??!

Thanks in advance for any tips!!! smile.gif

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 14:50

.prq ist the file that includes the definitions and settings for the prerequisite. It is compiled into your setup at build time. While you can replace the prerequisite installer on the server where the .prq points to, the .prq file itself is not automatically updated without rebuilding your setup. This means that your setup will still use the old condition to detect if the prerequisite needs to be installed. And the same condition is used to verify that the prerequisite install was successful. I guess that the new prerequisite installer sets some other registry entry or whatever you use to detect the prerequisite than the old installer did.