This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Not installing a hidden feature

1 reply to this topic

sudarshan123

sudarshan123
  • Full Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 17:56

Hi,
I am facing this problem with one of my hidden features in installshield.
The feature (VoiceMailServer) is a subfeature under another feature (Additional Services). This feature (VoicemailServer) is hidden in my install.
I want to get it installed only if one launches with a command line like
msiexec /i ServerComponents.msi ADDLOCAL="VoiceMailServer".
I have set the Install Level for this feature to 200. (Install Level property of my project is 100).
If the user selects Additional Services (the parent feature for my VoiceMaliServer) with the option "Select this feature and all its subfeatures" VoiceMailServer is also getting installed.
Also I have a dialog box called setup type from where user can determine whether he wants to do a complete install or a custom install.There I have the following. ADDLOCAL set to All. (Dialog box comes before the list of features user needs to install).
This is what I plan to achieve. Install VoiceMailServer only from commandline. (AddLOCAL=VoicemailServer). Otherwise, even if the user selects "Select All the subfeatures" he should not be able to install the VoiceMailServer.
I have tried the condition builder for the feature and put condition as.
Install Level Condition
100 ADDLOCAL="VoiceMailServer"
200 ADDLOCAL<>"VoiceMailServer"
This is not helping either. It seems as the user selects the parent node, all child features are getting installed irrespective of their install levels.
Can anyone please help me with this situation?
Thanks
Sudarshan

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 11:20

Otherwise, even if the user selects "Select All the subfeatures" he should not be able to install the VoiceMailServer.

VoiceMailServer shouldn't be a sub-feature of the Additional Services feature.

As an alternative approach:
  • Set VoiceMailServer's install level to 0 by default. This will hide and not install this feature. (If you want, you can set the regular visiblility setting to visible if you want, so users can see it if the feature has been enabled, see next step)
  • Create a feature condition:
    100 INSTALLVOICEMAILSERVER=1
  • To enable and install VoiceMailServer use this command line parameter:
    INSTALLVOICEMAILSERVER=1