This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

VBA Merge Module problem

4 replies to this topic

ianmw7

ianmw7
  • Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 25 June 2001 - 10:25

I have to install VBA for one of 5 languages. The localised MSMs contain several files with the same names as others. ISWI complains about this and advises me to use the source location property to distinguish them. Unfortunately this is not a property of merge modules or features, and if I ignore the warnings, ISWI overwrites one language version with another, so that the install will not run. Anyone got any ideas? - deadlines are looming.

hteichert

hteichert
  • Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 26 June 2001 - 13:40

You cannot install two or more files with the same name from the same source location. It doesn't matter where these files come from (from a merge module, from a component directly created in the MSI). As long as the source location on thee distribution media ffor the full install is the same, it's impossible.
You have to change your MSMs that the source location for each component containing the language specific files is different. Using the language identifiers would be good idea for example. (1033 - english; 1031 - german, etc.).
For ISWi:
In the Setup Design-Components view in the property "Source Location" enter a directory name (1033/1031/..); in the languages property select the language(s) for which you want this component to be installed.

ianmw7

ianmw7
  • Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 26 June 2001 - 15:16

Unfortunately this is quite useless, as merge modules do not have this property (as explained in my original post). Nor can you attach merge modules to components, they are contained within features (which do not have a Source Location property either). You can of course put a merge module inside a component, but what would be the point of that? You don't want to install the merge module - merely persuade it to install its contents.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 27 June 2001 - 21:42

Have you tried to build your media compressed into cab files as a workaround?

ianmw7

ianmw7
  • Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 28 June 2001 - 10:21

Stefan - cab files are my normal way of building. The problem is 3 files (signer.dll , selfcert.exe and makecert.exe ) which are in the VBA localized digital signature support files. They don't actually stop VBA itself from running, but obviously some functionality will be missing. However, I'm now guessing (since I haven't tried it before), that I can isolate these in features and put release flags on the features to prevent more than one being included at a time. At least, I'm hoping this is going to work.