This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

change the display name of application in Add remo

7 replies to this topic

amitha

amitha
  • Full Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 07:13

Hi,
I am new to installshield.The first task my company assigned me is to change the display name in the Add/remove programs panel.I am using Basic msi project.I should only chnage the name here and not product name .Is it possible???
I saw that in installscript msi,it is possible.But how do i do it here???

Please help!!

Thanks.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 17:05

As far as I know the Add/Remove COntrol panel will always use the ProductName property. However you could modify your dialogs to display something else, either some other property or even static text. You would have to edit the strings for all languages. However it might be confusing to end users if the setup tells them it is installing "A" but in control panel it's listed as "B".

amitha

amitha
  • Full Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 07:10

QUOTE (Stefan Krueger @ 2008-08-07 17:05)
As far as I know the Add/Remove COntrol panel will always use the ProductName property. However you could modify your dialogs to display something else, either some other property or even static text. You would have to edit the strings for all languages. However it might be confusing to end users if the setup tells them it is installing "A" but in control panel it's listed as "B".

hi thanks for the response,but i only want to change the display name of the product in Add/remove programs.I have handled everything on the dialog side.

vijayakumar

vijayakumar
  • Full Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 10:11

Hi Amitha,

You can do so by changing the ProductName from registry under 'HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Products\GUID'.

You can use this script, and schedule in Install Execute Sequence after InstallFinalize.

CODE

Function changeARPName()

On Error Resume Next
  const HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT = &H80000000
  strComputer = "."
  Set objShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
  Set  objRegistry=GetObject("winmgmts:{impersonationLevel=impersonate}!\\" &_
  strComputer & "\root\default:StdRegProv")

strKeyPath = "Installer\Products"
  objRegistry.EnumKey HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT, strKeyPath, arrSubKeys

For Each subkey In arrSubKeys      
      strGUID = objShell.RegRead("HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\" & strKeyPath & "\" & subkey & "\ProductName")
      If strGUID = "<ur app name>" Then
          objShell.RegWrite "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\" & strKeyPath & "\" & subkey & "\ProductName", "Aversion 1.1", "REG_SZ"
      End If

Next

End function

I have given this solution to your post in macrovision site also.

Regds,
Vijay

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 10:54

Yes, indeed you could create your own ARP entry, but you don't need a custom action for this. In General Settings you can select that Windows Installer should not create a visible ARP entry. Then you can create your own using the registry table.
Note that I still think that this isn't a good idea as it might confuse users. Why do you want to do this?

vijayakumar

vijayakumar
  • Full Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 11:25

Hi Stefan,

Yes. I thats true, this might confuse the user, but if at all a solution is desparately needed, thought this might be of help.

Amitha,
Try to avoid changing the ARP entry, as per Stefan's advice. But if u really need a soln. then use any of the above(think the one given by Stefan is straignt forward)

Cheers,
Vijay

amitha

amitha
  • Full Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 10:37

QUOTE (Stefan Krueger @ 2008-08-08 10:54)
Yes, indeed you could create your own ARP entry, but you don't need a custom action for this. In General Settings you can select that Windows Installer should not create a visible ARP entry. Then you can create your own using the registry table.
Note that I still think that this isn't a good idea as it might confuse users. Why do you want to do this?

hi ,thanks for all the answers.Our company merged with other company and the product name changed.But we have already given the product to a client.So the only way for them is to upgrade to newer version and the logic upgrading fromserver/client lies in the product name.so product name should remain same [as given to client],but the rebranded name shud come in ARP.
I will try what u have suggested.But is this possible in Basic msi projects???
Thanks.
Amitha

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 09:25

Yes, what I've suggested works in Basic MSI.