This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Major upgrade doesn't install new files

5 replies to this topic

medvekoma

medvekoma
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 14:12

I have a Basic MSI project (compiled to a single exe), which installs our 1.0 version correctly. It installs a desktop application.

The new version of the product contains new files and new components. If i run it in update mode, the new files doesn't get installed (regardless whether they are in a new component or in an old one). The installer ends without error messages, but the new files are not there.

blink.gif The most weird thing is that if i browse to specific pages with my internet explorer (www.cnn.com, www.index.hu, .... ) the setup starts, and finishes the installation copying the new files to their place. This will not happen for all pages.

If the old version is not installed, the installation will run correctly.

Do you have any idea about what causes this strange behavior and how can it be avoided?

Thanks for any input,
Medvekoma

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 09 April 2005 - 12:39

If i run it in update mode

Not sure what you mean with this exactly. Did you change the ProductCode?

A verbose log should tell you what's going on (http://www.msifaq.com/a/1022.htm)

medvekoma

medvekoma
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 April 2005 - 14:00

Thanks for your answer Stefan.

No, we've changed only the package code and version number has changed. By "running in update mode" i meant running the 1.1 setup when 1.0 is installed.

What could cause the installer to postpone finalizing the setup till i browse to a specific internet site?

I've tried to investigate the log file, but seen no strange issues in it.

Thanks,
medvekoma

Attached Files

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 11 April 2005 - 14:12

No, we've changed only the package code and version number has changed.

So this is a Minor Update, not a Major Upgrade.

Are the files that don't get updated assemblies or "regular" files?

Can you generate a verbose log to see why Windows Installer decides not to overwrite those files.

This article may also be helpful:
http://www.msifaq.com/a/1037.htm

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 11 April 2005 - 14:14

In execute sequence your property REINSTALL = GEAR,MGNC (in UI sequence it's ALL). Are the files that are not being updated in these two features, or in any other feature (do you have any other features?)

medvekoma

medvekoma
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 April 2005 - 17:13

Thanks Stefan,

Yes, i have only two features: GEAR and MGNC.

The page you suggested helped in identifying the problem. I've found that the event log contains the following item:

Detection of product '{5555C467-960E-4EE5-8117-698E47CF405E}', feature 'MGNC' failed during request for component '{D196F90A-B43E-42EC-B78E-B502BCCE24CC}'

I could not make further investigations yet, but will do on this track.

Thanks for your help,
Medvekoma