This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Differentiate betn XP home and XP Pro

6 replies to this topic

vishwa

vishwa
  • Full Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 12 May 2003 - 18:01

How can I differentiate between Windows XP Home and Windows XP Professional in my installation scripts?
Both have versions 5.1 .

Thanks,
Vishwa

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 13 May 2003 - 01:20

Yeah, I've asked this same question myself and at the time was given some information which should distinguish between the two. Although I've never had to actually make use of it--at least not yet (**knock on wood**).

Here's my re-worded version of the information:

Call the VerifyVersionInfo Windows API to compare the current system version to a required version. In this case, you'll want to see if wSuiteMask is set to VER_SUITE_PERSONAL meaning Windows XP Home Edition is installed.

Hope it helps.

Edited by TacoBell00, 13 May 2003 - 02:17.

user posted image

Perotin

Perotin
  • Full Members
  • 407 posts

Posted 14 May 2003 - 07:57

I think I remember that the home ed. is only for one processor-systems and prof. can be used on a two-processor-system.

So it could help o check in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager for the value of LicensedProcessors.
If this is 0x00000001 it should be home edition, if 0x00000002 it should be professional.

Maybe someone can look for the values for the other xp versions ...

Gruß / regards
Thomas

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 14 May 2003 - 14:27

Yes, the Home Edition is limited to one processor and Professional Edition supports up to two. Kind of a hack, but I guess that would work.

As for other versions of XP, are you referring to the Tablet PC Edition and the Media Center Edition? 'cause it's not obvious from Microsoft's web site, but I expect they're also both limited to one processor.
user posted image

Perotin

Perotin
  • Full Members
  • 407 posts

Posted 14 May 2003 - 15:21

I thought about the 64bit version and the server version
(which is now again called Windows 2003 Server,
does anyone know what the version number is? 5.2?)

and there was something called DataServer version ...

This I had in mind when thinking about the other versions of Windows XP smile.gif

Gruß / regards
Thomas

vishwa

vishwa
  • Full Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 14 May 2003 - 15:39

Yes, Windows 2003 server is indeed 5.2!!
Thanks for the replies..

Vishwa

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 15 May 2003 - 00:35

Yeah, there's also the 64-bit version of Windows XP 2003, and DataCenter is the 64-bit version of Windows Server 2003. Don't know how many processors either supports though since it's 64-bit computing and therefore all new territory. Probably one for the first go around.

However, all of the editions of Windows Server 2003 are indeed v5.2.

Having said all that, that means there are 5 varities of XP, and therefore all the more reason to rely on the VerifyVersionInfo Windows API call instead of the previously mentioned registry hack.
user posted image