This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

How to get Computer Name

2 replies to this topic

sachin123

sachin123
  • Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 19 January 2004 - 07:58

Hi,

I am creating the setup file using basic msi project.

I have the below requirement.

//////////////////////////////////

User is on his desktop with a cd drive, he inserts my application cd and tries to install the application on his server. The setup.exe is running on his PC and he selects a directory which is shared on a Server PC as his INSTALLDIR (e on '172.31.44.117').I need to get the computer name of the PC on which the application is going to be Installed not the Computer Name of PC where the Setup.exe.

//////////////////

Let me know how can get the computer name of the PC(Server) where the application is going to installed not the computer name of the PC(Desktop) where the setup.exe is running.

Balachandar

Balachandar
  • Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 19 January 2004 - 10:30

You can get the UNC Name of the INSTALLDIR. This should be \\ComputerName\Shared Name\

From there you can retry the computer name.

Cheers.

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 20 January 2004 - 06:21

Wouldn't the computer name already be part of the current INSTALLDIR if the user selects a network share? It sounds a little strange to install the way you are doing. I would map the desktop CD-drive on the server and just run the installer from the mapped CD-ROM. This can all be accomplished from a windows terminal server session.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul