This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Merge modules and COM extract at build.

1 reply to this topic

kirann_hegde

kirann_hegde
  • Full Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 04:44

Hi,

I have an InstallScript MSI project which includes the VC 8.0 CRT, ATL & MFC merge modules. Each of these merge modules creates registry entries under

'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SideBySide\Installations\

A couple of days back we had a problem wherein one of such registry entries was not getting created. This was triggerring self healing for the installer.This was later on traced to a dll whose properties were set to COM EXTRACT AT BUILD. Upon self registering this dll, the error was resolved.

Now can anyone let me know the relationship between Com Extract at build & VC 8.0 runtimes? However Com extract at build option seems to work with VC 6.0 runtimes.

Now currently we are facing a similar problem. The problem has been traced to a different ocx file. Self registering this ocx file is not helping us this time.

Can anyone let me know what could be wrong here?
I have to fix this problem tommorrow and any help would be very much appreciated.

The event log entries are pasted for reference:
Event Type: Warning
Event Source: MsiInstaller
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1004
Date: 9/29/2008
Time: 6:22:10 PM

Description:
Detection of product '{EFDDCCB6-FD60-476B-9002-487D919F3D84}', feature 'XXXXXX', component '{9BFEE17F-EB1D-10B3-C01F-C8B3B9A1E18E}' failed. The resource 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SideBySide\Installations\x86_Microsoft.VC80.CRT_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.103_x-ww_68182881\downlevel_manifest.8.0.50727.103\' does not exist.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft....link/events.asp.

Regards,
Kiran Hegde

kirann_hegde

kirann_hegde
  • Full Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 00:12

Hi All,

I finally figured it out.
The problem was with a windows installer standard action named "WriteRegistryValues". During one of our previous releases, the condition on this action was modified to "Not Installed". Hence this was not invoked during patch.
I removed the condition and things started working.
The VC 8.0 registry entries were created.

Regards,
Kiran Hegde