This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

How to Install Component Install NT Service

3 replies to this topic

sanjoygr

sanjoygr
  • Full Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 14:11

In my application there are 4 NT services that are required to be installed along with my product.
My product have some fixed folder seting.
Under Root drive [C:\,D:\,E:\...]\MyFixedFolderName\....All other files & folders.

Now when I create a NTService component using wizard and associate it with my aplication I have to do following setting in theproperties.

DESTINATION. Using Browse, Create, Modify a directory I create the folder under [WindowsVolume]\MyFixedFolder\MyProc\MyIQMGR.NET\bin.

So my Destination Folder becomes [INSTALLDIR]MyProc\MyIQMGR.NET\bin

As my INSTALLDIR is [WindowsVolume]\MyFixedFolder\.

The value of property .Net applicaqtion File :[INSTALLDIR]MyProc\MyIQMGR.NET\bin\MyIQMGRNET.exe

As my installation folder and destination folder are both same is there any wrong in doing so?
What is the best way to create NTservice destination folder.

Thanks
Sanjoy

MrSmersh

MrSmersh
  • Full Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 11:22

Set the component destination of the component with the service.
Since you have a fixed setup location (not recommended) you will need to tinker with the destination variables....

So to be able to help you further what version of InstallShield you use.

Edited by MrSmersh, 22 March 2006 - 11:23.

sanjoygr

sanjoygr
  • Full Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 14:22

Presently I am using InstallShield 11 Professional.
I cannot understand what u mean by setting component destination property of the component with the service?
Presently after creating the Install NT Service I give the destination property the same folder strcture as it is for its exe file.
After doing so I create a Control NT service which I map to the created NT service.

In doing so sometimes while building I find some warning saying the application folder and my mapped destination folder is same so the file already exist. It suggest me to put the source code location. However as far as I know source code location is for 2 same file existing in same location provided u do not compress while building.
This error mostly occur when I select [WindowsVolume]MyFixedFolder as the INSTALLDIR. So the destination of these files also becomes same as install.

Please provide some suggestion.

MrSmersh

MrSmersh
  • Full Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 10:53

Sorry about the delay but I’ve installed the demo version of the 11 to be 100% percent sure about what I’m saying.

So you:
· go to the Installation Designer tab
· open Organization node
· there you select Components
· on the right (middle) panel you will see all components of your project
· select the one containing your service
· on the right list you will have the destination property which you can fiddle with.

Ask is something you did not understand.

Be sure to do a test run of the installation after. Some versions had a bug that registered the service with another name than the actual one. No big deal I know how to fix it… I hope that 11 did not have this bug.