This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

VersionNT = 904 ???

9 replies to this topic

smc0862

smc0862
  • Full Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 20:13

Hi,

I have a customer running our product installer on a Windows 2003 Server system in Ireland and according to the install log, the VersionNT value is being set to 904. She has tried this on severeal system there with the same results.

I run the same installer on a Windows 2003 Server system in the US and the VersionNT value is set to 502 (as it should be).

What would cause the MSI engine to set the VersionNT to 904? This in turn is causing the MDAC merge module to error out and prevent the product from installing?

Any clues as to why this would be happening?

Thanks,

-Shawn

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 26 March 2005 - 09:28

That's very strange. Could you please post the log here (as zipped attachement)

smc0862

smc0862
  • Full Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 17:54

I have attached the log file from this customer.

-Shawn

Attached Files

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 30 March 2005 - 09:18

Does the VersionNT property appear anywhere in your MSI file? (I wonder if it might get changed by your setup)

smc0862

smc0862
  • Full Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 30 March 2005 - 15:21

Stefan,

Appear in what way? It is used in a couple of conditions, but nothing that would set it to 904. This same installer works properly on the Windows 2003 systems we tested on. It's just these system in Ireland that are having this problem. All these system were created by the same GHOST image, so the GHOST image is probably corrupt.

I tried running the installer from the command line trying to set VersionNT=904 to replicate the problem here, but what I discovered is that MSI converted the VersionNT property to all upper case (VERSIONNT). So the log file showed VersionNT=502 and VERSIONNT=904.

MSI is setting this property. Any ideas on what MSI uses to set this value? Registry value?

-Shawn

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 30 March 2005 - 20:52

That's true, you cannot set it from the command line.
Do you know if this Win2003 system is running SP1 or not? (The log says service pack level 0 but I don't trust this anymore)
Any idea what might be corrupt with that ghost image? Can they (in Ireland) create a new image or set up a new machine to see if they can still reproduce the problem?
BTW I'm currently talking to Microsoft about this problem.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 31 March 2005 - 09:21

To help diagnosing the problem, my MS contact has requested that you run winver on that machine to see what it reports. You could also try writing some code using the OSVERSIONINFOEX API (http://msdn.microsof...ninfoex_str.asp) to see if it gives you the same strange values. Something like:
CODE

#include <windows.h>
#include <stdio.h>

int main(int argc, char** argv)
{
OSVERSIONINFOEX osviVersionEx;
osviVersionEx.dwOSVersionInfoSize = sizeof(OSVERSIONINFOEX);
if (!GetVersionEx((OSVERSIONINFO*)&osviVersionEx))
 return 0;

printf("MajorVersion: %d\n", osviVersionEx.dwMajorVersion);
printf("MinorVersion: %d\n", osviVersionEx.dwMinorVersion);
printf("WindowsBuild: %d\n", osviVersionEx.dwBuildNumber);
printf("ServicePackLevel: %d\n",
osviVersionEx.wServicePackMajor);

return 0;
}

If this gives back incorrect info it's something bigger than just an MSI problem.

Please post your results here or e-mail me and we'll investigate this offline.

smc0862

smc0862
  • Full Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 19:42

Stefan,

Thanks for the help and suggestions. My contact in Ireland says that the installer is working now. She's not quite sure what changed, but she stated that she fixed a problem with a password to their SQL and the product installed after that.

I'll see if she will be willing to reproduce this again and if I can get more information I'll post it here.

-Shawn

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 08:31

I'm glad to hear that the install is workng, but I'm sad that we won't be able to diagnose the problem.

smc0862

smc0862
  • Full Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 14:42

The problem is back...

The output from the winver command on her system is the following, but she says this happens on non-SP1 systems also:

Version 5.2 (Build 3790.srv03_sp1_rtm.050324-1447 : Service Pack 1)

The version on my test system that works fine is:

Version 5.2 (Build 3790.srv03_gdr_.040410-1234)

-Shawn

Edited by smc0862, 04 April 2005 - 14:58.