This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

How do I avoid uninstall reinstall file deletions?

2 replies to this topic

ccortner

ccortner
  • Full Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 17:07

Hi All,

When our app is uninstalled and then reinstalled without a reboot between, then files that were locked during the uninstallation are removed on the next reboot due entries in the PendingFileRenameOperations registry value.

I'd like to find a way to have our installer remove any pending operations from the previous uninstall. It doesn't seem that just deleting the registry value would be a good idea since I could remove entries created by other applications.

A possible solution would be to read PendingFileRenameOperations before and after the uninstall and then store the results of a diff in a file that could be read during install so that any remaining entries could be removed. However, I am scared to try this because I have read posts in this forum about editing this registry value causing systems to become unbootable. Don't think our customers would appreciate that.

Is there an easy way around this?

Thanks!
Chris

Oh and we are using Installshield Pro 11

Edited by ccortner, 08 May 2009 - 17:08.

phood

phood
  • Full Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 18:40

The files listed in the PendingFileRenameOperations entry are often put there by the process that had them locked. Once the process is over, it wipes its hands of responsibility and happily lets an Installer request a reboot.

I currently have code that deletes the PendingFileRenameOperations entry. I haven't had trouble with it. (Of course, I'd like to hear from anyone who can see an issue with this approach.) Perhaps, if you are worried, you can delete the pending files for the process, then delete the registry entry.

KathyMorey

KathyMorey
  • Full Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 13:07

Have you considered bringing down the processes you are uninstalling before removing the files so that you don't get locked files?
Kathy Morey
Synergy Software Engineer
ProfitStars, a Jack Henry Company
kmorey@profitstars.com