This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Upgrading InstallShield Project With Wise Project

4 replies to this topic

mpento

mpento
  • Full Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 20:02

All,

This is another weird one.

I have 2 projects, call them A and B.

A is at version 4.0 and the install was done using Wise 5.1

B is at version 3.5 and the install was done using InstallShield 11.5

The 4.0 install would not upgrade a system which had 3.5 on it. Instead it would just install another instance of the product.

I went in and took a look at the 4.0 project and there were a fw small problems. The ProductVersion was set to 1.00.000 and there was mo upgrade item with the 3.5 upgrade code in it, so, I fixed these things.

So, project A now has it's ProductVersion set to 4.0.0.0 and it has an entry in the upgrade table which consists of product B's UpgradeCode GUID, min version 3.5.0.0 max version 3.5.0.0, language 1033, and property UPGRADE_21.

This should work, but, it doesn't. When installing the 4.0 product, the 3.5 product is never detected. Here is a snippet from the relevent part of the install log:

CODE
Action 14:24:28: FindRelatedProducts. Searching for related applications
Action start 14:24:28: FindRelatedProducts.
Action ended 14:24:28: FindRelatedProducts. Return value 1.
Action 14:24:28: WiseUpgradeCheckEx.
Action start 14:24:28: WiseUpgradeCheckEx.
Action ended 14:24:28: WiseUpgradeCheckEx. Return value 1.
Action 14:24:28: AppSearch. Searching for installed applications...
Action start 14:24:28: AppSearch.
Action ended 14:24:28: AppSearch. Return value 1.

When looking in the two msi files in Orca, the Wise install for the 4.0 product does look somewhat different, but, I am not sure what the extra tables are for.

Does anyone out there know anything about this? I am assuming that there is some special handling that needs to be done for upgrades using Wise that I am unaware of.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

Michael J. Pento

Independent InstallShield Contractor
mjpento@NO_SPAM.comcast.net

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 16:52

Did you set the include minor version" and "include major version" options in the upgrade table? Otherwise, the comparison is < and > instead of <= and >=.

mpento

mpento
  • Full Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 14:57

Hi Stefan,

I did, but they are both set to the same version, 3.5.0.0 since there is no other version to upgrade.

It looks like Wise has it's own builtin customactions, like WiseCheckUpgradeEx which I am not sure exactly what they do.

It seems no matter what I try, the install built with Wise will not even see the previous version of the application built with IS11.5.

It's kind of strange I guess, I am contracting for a very large organization and a few divisions have worked this particular product. The one working on the newer version uses Wise and my division uses IS. I talked to the person who did the Wise development but they don't know anything about installs really. They just kind of put it together.

I am ready to basically throw my hands up and tell these folks that the upgrade requires a manual uninstall of the previous version. sad.gif

Thanks,
Mike

Michael J. Pento

mpento

mpento
  • Full Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 15:15

Here is some more information which might be useful.

The Wise install is version 4.0.0.0
The IS11.5 install is version 3.5.0.0

In the Wise installer, I have tried the following:

Added to the Upgrade table:

UpgradeCode: {7DCE0844-9D1B-46D7-A9F7-398EF2745C6A}
Min. Ver: 3.5.0.0
Max. Ver: 3.5.0.0
Lang: 1033
Attributes: I have tried 773 and 261 here.
Remove:
Action Proprty: UPGRADE_21

I have added UPGRADE_21 to SecureCustomProperties in the Property table.

I have verified that the ALLUSERS properties are both set the same (1)

The ProductCodes for both packages are different.

An interesting peice of behavior: in this upgrade scenario, the Wise install doesn't even detect that the older version exists, but, if I set the ProductCodes the same, it can pick up that there is already a version installed.

Not sure where else to go with this one.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike
Michael J. Pento

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 17:37

Maybe you can get hold of some documentation for that Wise custom action?

Things you could try:
Change the min version to 3.0 and the max version to 3.9 in the upgrade table.
Double check the language setting in the old install. Is it really 1033, not 0 or something else? What's the language setting in the new package?

The Upgrade table is only processed during a Major Upgrade, i.e. when ProductCode is different. f the ProductCode is the same, a completely different update mechanism is used, so that doesn't help debugging the Major Upgrade issue.