This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Folder rights limited after installation

2 replies to this topic

CCRMZ

CCRMZ
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 12:43

I have a "D" partition (local) and am logged on as an Administrator, but after running an MSI installation packet, which installs a program to that partition (D:\MyProgram), then newly created folder has only "READ" rights.

I can manually create folders and copy files to this partition and write to them.

If I install to any other partition, or on another PC to the "D" partition, then the created folder (D:\MyProgram) has full access rights.

On the problem PC and "D" partition, there are no other rights given to it (just the default rights)

Anyone know what may be causing this?

luke_s

luke_s
  • Full Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 02:25

I believe that windows registers one location for "Program Files". If you create a second folder on D:\, then this is just treated as just another folder. If you want special permissions for your folders then have a look at the LockPermissions table.

CCRMZ

CCRMZ
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 15:12

Thank you for responding.
That isn't the problem.

The programm is being installed to some folder on the D: partition (such as: D:\TestFolder1\) , and after installing, the new folder's permissions are Read Only.
So, why is MSI or Windows restricting permissions for this folder on the D: partition, and not when the programm is installed on another partition?

Once again, please note:
1. On another machine I can install to a D: partition and full rights are given to the installed folder.
2. On the machine where the problem is occuring I can install to C:\Something, E:\Something or any other partition other than D:.
3. I have full admin rights
4. I can manually create any folder on D: and afterwards I have full permissions to that folder.