This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Language Transforms and Caching

2 replies to this topic

Matthias1967

Matthias1967
  • Full Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 13:48

Hello,

When I create a multi-language setup with InstallShield, language transforms are created in the release folder. When I then start the setup, one of these (unsecured) transforms is applied to the MSI package before starting it.

But if another version of the same product has already been installed (so that the installation is going to be a minor upgrade), the language transform has been cached in <WINDIR>Installer\<ProductCode>, and Windows Installer will use the cached transform before even looking at the transform I brought with the new product version. (Documentation says so, and I just tried it out).

Does this mean that I have to enforce a major upgrade as soon as some localized texts have changed? - I have not found "changed texts" as a criterium for a major upgrade.

Or does another workaround exist? - I assume that there is often a situation where the current localized texts are not available until very shortly before the final release, so that there are betas out there that don't have the current texts.

Best regards

Matthias

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 14:24

If I recall correctly - although I didn't find the documentation right now - you can't alter a transform that has already been applied. So in theory this could work if you added a new tranform to change the text. But I don't think InstallShield can do this.

Matthias1967

Matthias1967
  • Full Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 11:33

Thanks for your reply.

However I guess this should be a rather common problem and I exepected sort of a common solution to it...