This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

WPF UI Instead of Standard Install Dialogs

2 replies to this topic

mwsines

mwsines
  • Full Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 17:49

How would I go about creating a basic InstallShield MSI project that utilizes custom WPF UI instead of the standard windows installer dialogs?  I've searched the web and this forum, but haven't found many details.  It sounds like I can use the EmbeddedUI functionality of Windows Installer, but I haven't seen any good examples of how to do that.  Any help would be appreciated, including opinions about whether or not this is a good idea.

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 21:35

Please check this answer and its links: http://stackoverflow...25116048/129130 (do check all the links and further links - there is a lot of information).

I wouldn't do this unless you just want a simple dialog with perhaps just a tick box to accept the license agreement, and then a button to kick off the install in silent mode with parameters set via msiexec.exe and properties:

msiexec.exe /I "Test.msi" /QN /L*V "C:\Temp\msilog.log" ADDLOCAL="ALL" LAUNCHAPP="0" SKIPREGISTER="1"

If you start implementing wizard style dialogs with navigation from one to the other things get complicated quickly and you will have a lot of QA to do to be sure it operates correctly.

What you gain, on the other hand, is a full set of dialog events and proper exception handling. These two things can be crucial to ensure proper operation of certain dialog constructs.

Edited by Glytzhkof, 05 February 2015 - 22:03.

Regards
-Stein Åsmul

mwsines

mwsines
  • Full Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 16:36

Thank you for the information, I had already seen most of it, but reading through it a 2nd time, as I get up-to-speed on the subject, has been beneficial.  I guess what I was really hoping for was more of a simple working example that uses C#.  What I am planning is pretty much what you indicated... a simple (in functionality) dialog that looks fancy.