This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Retain a single component during major upgrade

2 replies to this topic

RothmansUA

RothmansUA
  • Full Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 15:44

Hello everybody,

The previous version of our product consisted of certain components grouped in the one feature.
I am preparing a major upgrade for that product.
I need to perform upgrade in such a way that the whole product's previous version would be uninstalled/replaced except of a single component that is not available in a newer and should remain after upgrade.

This is a trial-full version scenario. We need that our newer demo version could upgrade older full version. The Demo version doesn't include full functionality (a component is missing) but should be able to upgrade previous full version to the newest state. Missing component that was installed with a previous version is a vital part of the full version and it should remain after upgrade.

Is there a way to do that at all?
Is there a way to do that not changing the previous version?

I know, it would help if we would have separated full version part in a separate Feature in the old version, but even in this case after specifying all other Features in the remove field of the Upgrade table would leave then old product entry in the Add/Remove programs applet behind.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 17:51

You could move/copy the files before the uninstall of the old version takes place, and restore it afterwards.

Another option (which I haven't tried!) might be to add the component to the new setup, but with dummy files, and set the component to "never overwrite". You could even add a condition to the feature so that it will only install if the files already exist (based on a AppSearch), so new Demo users won't get the dummy files. Of course, RemoveExistingroducts must be scheduled after the install of the new version to make this work.

RothmansUA

RothmansUA
  • Full Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 09:53

QUOTE (Stefan Krueger @ 2008-09-09 17:51)
You could move/copy the files before the uninstall of the old version takes place, and restore it afterwards.

Another option (which I haven't tried!) might be to add the component to the new setup, but with dummy files, and set the component to "never overwrite". You could even add a condition to the feature so that it will only install if the files already exist (based on a AppSearch), so new Demo users won't get the dummy files. Of course, RemoveExistingroducts must be scheduled after the install of the new version to make this work.

Thank you very much, Stefan, you are the best! smile.gif

The second one works perfect!
The only complication I have found is that there are several hundreds of files to be made dummy, otherwise they get left behind after newer Demo version uninstallation.

So I am still thinking which one of two approaches to choose (may be simply to prohibit such scenario, have to talk to my chef).