This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Error 1706 - No valid source could be found

5 replies to this topic

Rob Millray

Rob Millray
  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 30 October 2001 - 17:44

If I install my application from a CD as admin no errors are reported. If I then log in as a restricted user (win2k) the windows installer starts up because I have some files in the Documents and Settings folder and then fails with error 1706 No valid source could be found for product ..... If I run the exact same install set from the local hard disk it works fine for both users. I have tried putting entries into the Media table (currently empty) and I have tried creating a CD with a compressed install set and an uncompressed one with no joy.

Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

Jim S

Jim S
  • Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 13 February 2002 - 21:09

I have just discovered that my installation causes the same error on Win 2000 and XP. No one logged in as a User or Power User can run from the shortcut. Windows Installer starts, then fails with an error 1706.  Running as an Administrator, Windows Installer doesn't start, and the program runs normally.

AFAIK, the only file being installed in the Documents and Settings is the shortcut. I am installing using ALLUSERS=1 at the command line, and the shortcut is in the All Users folder.

This would seem to be an access rights problem, but what kind - in the registry, or in the file system?

Dynas

Dynas
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 March 2002 - 19:50

I have also seen this. I cannot find any answer that will prevent this EXCEPT.

DISABLEADVTSHORTCUTS=1

However if the application calls a doc or file it will come up. Also opening via docuement also makes this appear.

You can try the above and see how it works though.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 27 March 2002 - 20:40

Restricted users typically don't have access to the CD drive for installation for security reasons. I think there's an article in Microsoft's knowledge base with a workaround.

Dynas

Dynas
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 March 2002 - 21:01

In my cases I removed the cd. I should not have to have the access to the msi and files at all times correct? Once the package is installed for all users it should be ok?

From what I have seen you two things for this not to be an issue and I want a way around it.

You need Admin rights and you need read&execute

hambone

hambone
  • Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 26 June 2002 - 13:34

i have experienced a similiar problem trying to install msis from a cd in a 'locked-down' security environment.  to address the issue a change was required in the registry ( but will invalidate the c2 security ).

the registry entry in question is AllocateCDROMs and is located in the                    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon subkey

setting this value to 0, or removing it solved the problem for me...

i became aware of the requirement for this change when looking at the first version of the Visio 2000 Std. product.  in order to get it to install it was required that this registry entry be changed or deleted.  although this makes little sense, as the stated purpose of this entry is to prevent someone/something other than the current interactive user, access to the removable media and should allow interactive use of the device(s) regardless of this setting.

micro$oft has admitted that this is a BUG in the Microsoft Windows Installer v1.0 on the NT v4.0 platform.  this is documented in:

KB Q221524 "FIX: Cannot Install Applications from Media w/ Certain Reg Value" Revision Date: 10-18-2000

it seems that this registry entry can still cause problems...

from the C2 Administrator's and User's Security Guide:

"...a program started by a user can continue running after the user logs off.  When another user logs on and puts a floppy disk in the drive, this program can secretly transfer sensitive data from the floppy disk.  If this is a concern, restart the computer before using the floppy disk drive"

Additional information relating to this can be found in the following:

KB Q230895 Off2000: Installation Ended Prematurely Because of an Error
KB Q172520 Access Denied Error When Trying to Access a Shared CD-ROM
Registry Tweaks: Managing the Windows NT Registry