This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

MDAC 2.7 vs. Windows Server 2003

3 replies to this topic

jsellinath

jsellinath
  • Full Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 10:55

Hi together,

we have a product that's got an installer created by InstallShield Developer 8 SP2.

The dependency scanner found that MDAC had to be installed and marked the MSM for MDAC2.7 to be added automatically. So far everything was fine.

But now the first of our customers wanted to install our product on Windows Server 2003, but the installation failed:

QUOTE (on Windows Server 2003 machines)
MDAC 2.7 cannot be installed on this Machine. MDAC 2.7 requires any of the following configurations:

Microsoft Windows 98 with the Y2K Update 2 and Internet Explorer 4.01 SP2 or later
Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition
Microsoft Windows Millenium
Microsoft NT® 4 SP5 (or greater) and IE 4.01 SP2 or later
Microsoft Windows 2000

Setup will exit now. Please restart the Setup after installing the neccesary updates to this machine.

All .msm packages avaliable on the msi build host were coming along with the installation media of Installshield Developer or wer installed using the built-in update functionallity.

Anybody any ideas?

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 14:53

This old version of the MDAC module didn't check the Windows version proeprly, so it tries to install on Windows Server 2003, which fails because W2k3 comes with MDAC. See also "Error with MDAC Merge Module on Windows Vista" at http://www.installsi...bugs_isw115.htm

Note: As far as I know W2k3 is not officiall supported in Developer 8.

jsellinath

jsellinath
  • Full Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 09:21

Thanks for the Answer! smile.gif

Of course Developer 8 does not "officially" support W2K3.

But - I expect even a newer Version of the MS installer service to be able to handle packages built for an older version of the installer service. On my XP i'm running MS installer service 3.0 and this version of the service can handle the packages packed for MSI 2.0 built with developer 8.

I would have expected MSI to figure out that there is no need to install MDAC 2.7 (depending on the version information, component code etc)in case a newer version of the very same product is installed already, but maybe I did fully understand the MSI philosophy. Bum I'm pretty sure to have seen once MSI complaining about installing Office 2000 on a PC where Office 2002 already was installed... unsure.gif

Anyway, there is a MSM avaliable for download from the MS web-site. I'll check whether this works for W2K3.

I would upgrade to IS12, if my boss would allow to spend money for it...

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 16:48

Newer versions of Windows Installer can properly run older msi files, of course. The problem here is that MDAC is being installed by a custom action (the merge module contains onnly a custom action and the mdac_typ.exe redistributable from Microsoft). When InstallShield created that custom action their operating system check didn't take into account later versions of Windows.