This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Please help: pass param value to custom action

1 reply to this topic

aussie

aussie
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 February 2004 - 05:52

Dear all,

Please Help!

I'm building my install using the InstallShield Professional - Windows Installer Edition.

What I'm trying to do is pretty simple:
1. get the user to enter a text input,
2. once the install copies the files to the destination directory, it will modify one of the files by adding the user input.

To achive point 1 above, I've written one custom action that uses AskText standard dialog box, and sets a property using MsiSetProperty(hMSI, "MYINPUT", svValue). I then put this custom action in a right order in the User Interface sequences. As much as I can see, this works as desirable (ie. it prompts the user at the right time and sets the property correctly).

To achive point 2, I've written yet another custom action to modify a file _after_ the install copies such file over. Because of this, I made the custom action to have "Defered Execution" for the In-Script Execution option, and put it right under the InstallFiles action in the Execute sequences. However, I'm having difficulties getting back my property using MsiGetProperty(hMSI, "MYINPUT", foe1, foe2). That is, it always returns nothing.

Changing the "Defered Execution" to "Immediate execution" option will give me the right value of the property, but the problem is that the custom action will be executed _before_ the file is copied.

Does anyone have any suggestion? Am I in the wrong track here?

Thanks in advance.

Set.

hteichert

hteichert
  • Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 10 February 2004 - 11:37

Please don not post the same question in different forums.
I answered your question in Installsite/English/Custom Actions
h.teichert-ott