This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

URGENT: Upgrade to a different INSTALLDIR, NO SELM

1 reply to this topic

nc4ted

nc4ted
  • Full Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 01:42

Hello,

I'm trying to upgrade a product that was first installed to a different directory. Allow me to quickly explain...

The installer normally installs to the D:\MyProgram directory and everything works. Running an upgrade on that directory works as well.

However, the \MyProgram directory was hand copied to a new directory called D:\MyProgram2. Basically, it's another instance of the program. As far as our Program's functionality goes, this is fine.

My question is how can I use the installer (a basic MSI) to run a repair on (upgrade) the \MyProgram2 directory?

I've already taken the following steps:
- Insert DestinationFolder and InstallChangeFolder-type dialogs after MaintenanceWelcome (if the user chooses Repair). This automatically sets INSTALLDIR, and the logs verify that.
- Inserted a CA before CostInitialize to save INSTALLDIR to the property TEMPINSTALLDIR (because CostFinalize reinitializes the INSTALLDIR variable to its original location)
- Inserted a CA after CostFinalize to reset INSTALLDIR back to the user-selected directory.

All of that is successful, and the log verifies the change in INSTALLDIR. However, when the repair (minor upgrade) actually runs, I get the following errors:

MSI (s) (FC:04) [16:44:18:824]: Feature: ProgFeature; Installed: Local; Request: Reinstall; Action: Reinstall
MSI (s) (FC:04) [16:44:18:824]: Component: Cmp1; Installed: Local; Request: Null; Action: Null
MSI (s) (FC:04) [16:44:18:824]: Component: Cmp2; Installed: Local; Request: Null; Action: Null
MSI (s) (FC:04) [16:44:18:824]: Component: Cmp3; Installed: Local; Request: Null; Action: Null
MSI (s) (FC:04) [16:44:18:824]: Component: Cmp4; Installed: Local; Request: Null; Action: Null
MSI (s) (FC:04) [16:44:18:824]: Component: Cmp5; Installed: Local; Request: Null; Action: Null
etc.

Why is this? There is no SELMGR in the log, as has been suggested to others with a similar problem. Also, why does the Feature show Reinstall, but none of the components do? blink.gif

Again, the repair (upgrade) works flawlessly when I upgrade the original \MyProgram directory, however it won't upgrade the hand-copied \MyProgram2. Any ideas on how to accomplish this?

More details about the installer: basic MSI, MSI File hashing enabled, REINSTALLMODE=vomus, REINSTALL=all, verbose logging enabled. I unfortunately can NOT post the entire log here, as our program's information is classified.

Sorry to rush this, but I need a solution by tonight, if possible. But, even if it's the day, week, or year after when you read this, please post solutions.

Thank you very, very much in advance! wink.gif

nc4ted

nc4ted
  • Full Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 22:19

I also posted this question to InstallShield's forum (I know, I'm sorry -- I really needed help though! tongue.gif), and I'll paste the link here for you to see. Basically, I'm finding out how to use a Basic MSI to upgrade multiple instances of a program. It's good stuff and I'm getting lots of great help from someone named "joshstechnij".

Enjoy!

http://community.ins...ad.php?t=181398