This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

.mdb's Not being Updated on different drive!

2 replies to this topic

Superfreak3

Superfreak3
  • Full Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 24 March 2003 - 20:54

OK, here is the situation.  In the past, we had some problems updating some .mdb files on a target machine if a user modified the target file.  I solved this problem by using InstallScript to change the modified date on involved files to 12/12/99.  This would ensure that the file contained in our install would be placed.

For example, I modify a file, test.mdb, so the date is changed to the current date, lets say 3/24/03.  The test.mdb file contained in my installation is dated 8/29/02.  If I don’t include the date changing script, the installation file will not be placed.  When the script is included, the target file date is changed to 12/12/99 and is then overwritten with the test.mdb contained in my install.

However, there appears to be a glitch.  If the user chooses C:\ as the INSTALLDIR, this method seems to work flawlessly.  On the other hand, if the user chooses D:\ as the desired installation location, file dates are changed to the above mentioned date, but the installation file(s) is not copied.  

Does anyone have any insight as to what might be going on here?

I should mention that the results of my testing the installation to D:\ are inconsistent, as the process will work sporadically.  Most times it doesn't, but sometimes it does.

Hope someone can help!

rmadassery77

rmadassery77
  • Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 26 March 2003 - 19:29

Check whether the installscript logic is not hardcoded to C:\
Rajiv Madassery
Galway Scripting Center
Digital GlobalSoft Ltd.
(Subsidiary of Hewlett-Packard Company)

Superfreak3

Superfreak3
  • Full Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 28 March 2003 - 22:37

I use INSTALLDIR in my scripts.

In my testing, I was able to break the process on both the C:\ and D:\ drives by changing the .mdb internally in some way, thus changing it's dates.  Both partitions are NTFS if that means anything.

To work around this, I created a script which moves the database aside.  The install will then load the new file properly (I have also included a rollback action to move my .sav file back to .mdb in case of a mishap/cancellation during the process.).  Near the end of the install process, the .sav file would be removed.

Here, again is where the problem comes in.  On a C:\ drive, this process works flawlessly.  On D:\, however, the .sav file is not restored during rollback or removed near the end of a successful install.

Any ideas?